I encountered this book tag when Jazmen @ This Girl Reads A Lot posted her answers on her blog. It sounds like fun so here are mine.
1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How do you decide what to read next?
If I have a pending book for review, I try to get to that first but I’m almost always a mood reader so at any one time, I may be reading 3 to 4 books, deciding on which one to read every other time.
2. You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it, do you quit or are you committed?
I try to stay committed to the book. There might be times when I would just skim over the chapters that bring my reading enjoyment down but I try to get to the end of every book most of the time.
3.The end of the year is coming, and you’re so close but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge, do you try and catch up and how?
I know that sometimes, that Goodreads number you set out for yourself will glare at you towards the end of the year if you haven’t reached it yet. I try not to let it get to me too much. I read when I can and when I want to.
4. The covers of your series do not match, how do you cope?
It’s a painful process, believe me. But sometimes, stuff like this happens and I just suck it up, I guess.
5. Every one and their mother loves a book you really don’t like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?
No one? lol 🙂 I don’t actively find for someone who also doesn’t like them. If I do find someone, I’m ecstatic. But if I don’t, then I’m fine with not liking that book on my own.
6. You’re reading a book and you are about to cry in public. How do you deal?
Oh my gosh! I think this happened to me quite a few times and always when I’m riding the train. When I feel the tears filling up my eyes, I try to blink them away, hoping fervently that it won’t spill over my cheeks. Sometimes when they get too much, I dab on my eyes with my fingers, very discreetly. And when all else fails, provided that I’m with a friend or family, I just turn to them and start a conversation about how the book is just making me cry like a baby.
7. A sequel of a book you love just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry out in frustration?
Oh, I had a lot of crossroad moments about this one. I always want to re-read the prior novel but don’t seem to have the luxury of time and I’m always excited to read the sequel. So in short, I dive head-long into the sequel and hope very much that memories of the previous novel would come back to my subconscious while I’m reading the sequel.
8. You don’t want anyone borrowing your books. How do you politely tell them no?
lol 🙂 I extend and extend the time it gets me to give them the book until somehow they forget about it. Because if they don’t forget about it, I’m likely to lend it to them *because I’m a pushover that way*.
9. Reading ADD: You’ve picked up and put down five books in the last month. How do you get out of a reading slump?
I just try and try reading another book again until the right one fits. Or other times, I re-read a favorite and get all my happy-feelings back before I tackle the other books.
10. There are so many books coming out that you’re dying to read. How many do you actually buy?
Lately, book-buying has really been more an issue of budget to me. I’d love to have all those shiny new books on my shelf but the money needs to come from somewhere you know and sadly, they don’t grow on trees. So I limit myself to the ones I really, really, like really, really like and was waiting for, for like a year.
11. After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?
Ahahaha… true story, they do tend to spend a lot of shelf time first before they get to my hands again for the reading. It’s really a bad habit for me and one that I’m trying to change this time. My ultimate goal is to be able to buy a book that I would read immediately because there are no more pending books on my shelf, physical or digital. How’s that for a goal?
If you decide to do this tag, I’d love to hear all about your answers to these ‘problems’ so be sure to leave a link below if you do.